Home Page
Summer Day Camps
Going Green
Pony Parties
Riding Lessons
Equine Sales List
Tack for Sale
Purebred Arabian Horses
Half Arabian Horses
Pinto Arabian Horses
Crabbet/CMK Archive
Why Buy Crabbet?
Spotted Saddlehorses & TWH
Equine Health
Everything about Breeding
Congratulations!
A Tribute to the 4H of Geauga County
A Tribute to Hallelujah
Our Story
Horse Links
Losing Ground to Development
Land Use Issue in Ohio
Guest Book
Coloring Book
Story Books on horse breeds
WIW Farm Through the Seasons
The Baxter Black Corner
Site map
Diatom Graphics















































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































 
Windt im Wald Farm
Geauga County, Northeast Ohio

since 1995
 
 

University Library - Cal Poly Pomona
University Archives

HIGHLIGHTS OF
CAL POLY POMONA HISTORY

by

Walter H. Roeder, University Library

Updated by Danette Cook Adamson

 


The following chronology will trace the early history of W. K. Kellogg's Arabian Horse Ranch and the evolution of the university which began in 1938 when the Voorhis family donated the Voorhis School for Boys to the State of California for use as the Voorhis Unit (the southern branch) of the California State Polytechnic School, San Luis Obispo.

Building numbers have been added to the chronology to help readers identify campus buildings.


Contents:


1920's

1925(March)

W. K. Kellogg purchased 11 Arabian horses before selecting a ranch site.

 

1925(May)

After looking at locations from Ventura to Pomona, Mr. Kellogg purchased 377 acres of land in Pomona, at a cost of $250,000, as a site for his Arabian Horse Ranch. A legend says that the choice of the ranch site was decided on the flip of a coin. One day Mr. Kellogg stopped his car and flipped a penny up in the air while saying, "Heads it's Pomona; tails, it's Santa Barbara." The ranch eventually became the present Cal Poly campus.

 

1926-1927

This was an active construction period at the ranch. Under the supervision of architects Myron Hunt and H. C. Chambers four buildings were completed: the Arabian Horse Stables and the Trainer's House in 1926; the Kellogg Mansion and the Manor House in 1927. (The names of some of these buildings have changed -The Arabian Horse Stables have become Union Plaza(26), The Trainer's House is the Duplex(95), the Kellogg Mansion is University House(112); the Manor House(111) retained its name). Landscape Architect Charles G. Adams developed plans for the Rose Garden in 1926 and planted the garden in 1927.

 

1926

Rudolph Valentino rode the Kellogg Arabian Jadaan in the film, "The Son of The Sheik." Jadaan was the first of Kellogg's horses to appear in motion pictures.

 

1926

Informal horse shows were started in the stable courtyard, eventually these shows developed into regularly scheduled Sunday shows which are now presented at the W. K. Kellogg Horse Center(29); over 3 million people have seen the shows.

 

1927-1930's

During this period many motion picture stars came to the ranch to have their pictures taken with the horses. Some of the big names included Mary Pickford, Clara Bow, Gary Cooper, Olivia de Havilland, Tom Mix, Loretta Young, and Ronald Reagan.

 

1927(March)

Charles Voorhis purchased 157 acres of land in San Dimas and started the Voorhis School for Boys. The school operated from 1928-1938 providing housing and an education to over 300 boys until the Voorhis family donated it to the State of California. Julian McPhee, President of California State Polytechnic School, San Luis Obispo, was given control of the Voorhis site to establish a southern branch of Cal Poly which could offer a horticultural and agricultural curriculum.

 

1928(July 14)

The W. K. Kellogg Airport was dedicated. The landing strip (450 feet by 2,300 feet) was located east of the Arabian Horse Stables (Union Plaza(26)). This was the first private airport constructed in the Pomona Valley.

Return to Contents

1930's

1930(April)

W. K. Kellogg purchased an additional 425 acres. The total acreage of the ranch became 802 acres. (Today the campus is approximately 1,400 acres).

 

1932(May 17)

W. K. Kellogg donated the Arabian Horse Ranch, 87 horses and $600,000 to the University of California. About 22,000 people attended the ceremony which was broadcast by NBC with humorist Will Rogers as the master of ceremonies. The ranch became the W. K. Kellogg Institute of Animal Husbandry.

 

1936(May)

Mr. Kellogg visited the ranch and was not happy with the conditions there. Fences were down and weeds were growing in various areas. He investigated the possibility of having the ranch redeeded back to him or turning it over to the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.

 

1938(September 15)

The Voorhis Unit of Cal Poly opened at the former Voorhis School for Boys in San Dimas. It was a 2 year, all male agricultural college with 80 students and 5 faculty members.

 

1939(April 29-30)

The first annual open house, Poly Vue, was held at the Voorhis Unit campus.

Return to Contents

1940's

1940(January 26)

The Bronc's Cheer, the first San Dimas campus newspaper was published. The name of the newspaper was changed to Poly Views in 1942 and finally to the Poly Post in 1962.

 

1943-1946

World War II forced the closure of the Voorhis Unit campus from Spring 1943 to Fall 1946.

 

1943(October 28)

Mr. Kellogg was successful in getting the California Board of Regents to turn over the Arabian Horse Ranch to the U.S. Army for use as a remount station. The ranch was owned by the War Department from 1943-1948 and was known as the Pomona Quartermaster Depot (Remount). During the war many renovations, including road improvements and fence replacements, were made to the ranch by Italian prisoners of war, who were housed at the Los Angeles County fairgrounds.

 

1946

In the fall of 1946 the Voorhis Unit reopened with an enrollment of 270 students. In 1947 enrollment increased to 400 students.

 

1947

The first yearbook Madre Tierra was published by students at the Voorhis Unit.

 

1948(April 2)

President Harry S. Truman signed a bill (H.R.3484) transferring remount depots (including Mr. Kellogg's Ranch) to the Department of Agriculture. Because of a lack of funds the Department of Agriculture made a decision to sell the ranch and the horses.

 

1949(January 1)

The first Cal Poly float was entered in the Tournament of Roses Parade. It won the Award of Merit.

 

1949

On June 4 President Harry S. Truman signed a bill (S.B.969) which transferred the ranch back to the W. K. Kellog Foundation. On July 2 the California Legislature passed Assembly Concurrent Resolution No.100 which favored the transfer of the ranch from the Kellogg Foundation to the Cal Poly SLO. On December 14 a sign which read "California State Polytechnic College, Kellogg Unit" was posted at the ranch gate.

Return to Contents

1950's

1956(September)

550 students and 30 faculty moved from the original Voorhis Unit to the present campus. The name of the college became California State Polytechnic College, Kellogg-Voorhis. The Science building(3) was the first building on the Pomona campus. It housed the college administrative offices, classrooms, the library and the bookstore. The Voorhis campus was used for continuing education programs until 1971 when Kellogg West(77) was built (additions were built at Kellogg West in 1978 and 1979).

 

1957

In February the first female faculty member, Dorothy McNeill (later Dorothy Tucker), was hired at Cal Poly Pomona. Later in the year Gertrude Boland and Virginia Adair also joined the faculty.

 

1957

The first graduating class at Cal Poly Pomona consisted of 57 agricultural majors. Before 1957 students spent their senior year at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo and were graduated from that campus. Diplomas were presented in a ceremony held in the Rose Garden.

 

1959

This was an active year for building construction. The following buildings were completed: College of Arts(5), College of Engineering(9), CE,IME,ME Engineering(11), Engineering Laboratories(12), College of Business Administration(6), Health Services(46), and Physical Education(41).

 

1959

The Library was moved from the Science building(3) to the School of Arts building(5).

 

1959(April)

The block letters "CP" were placed on Colt Hill by the Poly Service Club (Phi Sigma Chi).

Return to Contents

1960's

1961

Women were enrolled for the first time when 329 women joined the student body of 2,436 men in the fall quarter. Construction began on the Administration Building (1). Students moved into Encinitas (20), Monticito (21), Alamitos (22) and Aliso (23) residence halls.

 

1963

The Cal Poly Pomona chorus and band made their first phonograph record, "The Sound of Music," which featured 12 songs.

 

1963

The Agriculture Classroom(2) and the Music(24), Drama/Theatre(25) buildings were constructed.

 

1964

Scenes for the film "The Sandpiper" starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were shot on the Voorhis campus.

 

1965

Two buildings were completed: Manufacturing Engineering(10) and ARO/CME/IME Engineering(13).

 

1965

The use of reclaimed water for campus irrigation began. By 1990 almost 95% of the campus was irrigated by using reclaimed water to grow tree fruits, vegetables, grains, ornamental plants, and for livestock watering.

 

1966

The California Legislature established California State Polytechnic College, Kellogg-Voorhis as an independent college. It became the 16th college in the California State College system. In 1972 the system became The California State University and Colleges, and in 1982 it became The California State University.

 

1967(May 1)

The 100,000 square foot, $3 million Gymnasium(43) was dedicated.

 

1967(October 24)

Inauguration of Dr. Robert C. Kramer as President of Cal Poly, Pomona. Dr. Kramer served as President until 1977.

 

1968(December)

The Library building(15) was completed; students, faculty and staff worked together to move books and periodicals from the School of Arts building(5) to the new library which opened January 2, 1969.

 

1969

Palmitas Hall(57), Cedritos Hall(58) and the La Cienega Center(59) were opened.

Return to Contents

1970's

1970

The School of Environmental Design building(7) was completed.

 

1972(April 6)

Dedication of the W.K. Kellogg Horse Center(29).

 

1972(June 1)

The name of the college was changed to California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.

 

1972(April 6)

Dedication of the W.K. Kellogg Horse Center(29).

 

1974(October 17)

Dedication of the University Union(35).

 

1975 (September 15)

The Polywagen (Tram) began operation, carrying students, faculty and staff from parking lots to campus buildings.

 

1976(September)

The School of Science building(8) was opened.

 

1978(March 29)

The 157 acre Voorhis campus was sold for $2.31 million to the Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College who had leased the property for the previous seven years. The Voorhis campus was sold to raise funds to purchase 100 acres of land bordering on the northwest side of the Cal Poly Kellogg campus.

 

1978(October 31)

Inauguration of Dr. Hugh O. La Bounty, Jr. on October 31 as President of Cal Poly, Pomona. Dr. La Bounty joined the faculty in 1953 and had served as Acting President since 1977.

Return to Contents

1980's

1981(April 30)

Dedication of Union Plaza(26) on April 30. The original Arabian Horse Stables had been remodeled to create Union Plaza, a center for student organizations.

 

1983 (June 29)

Groundbreaking ceremony for the Voorhis Ecological Reserve took place.

 

1984 (April 14)

The University Office Building(94) was dedicated.

 

1985 (September 22)

The University Village Apartments were opened.

The apartments were constructed with Cal Poly Kellogg Unit funds. The project offered 400 additional living spaces for Cal Poly students.

 

1986 (September 18)

Dedication of the Bronco Bookstore(66). The building also provides classrooms and faculty offices.

 

1988 (January 4)

The University was authorized to change the names of its "Schools" to "Colleges."

 

1988 (January 14)

Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the $3 million James and Carol Collins Center for Hospitality Management (79) situated near Kellogg West.

 

1988 (May)

A project was started to add the 4th and 5th floors to the University Library(15). The 3rd floor was closed to allow asbestos removal; site preparation began for construction of the two floors.

 

1988 (October 10)

The University Art Gallery was dedicated. The John L. and Helen Kellogg Foundation and Jean and W. Keith Kellogg II provided major funding for the building. The first exhibit was "Hollywood Collects, 1988."

 

1988 (November)

"Breakthrough," the first phonograph album by the Cal Poly Pomona Jazz Ensemble was available at the Bronco Bookstore. Also, site preparation began near the Music Building(24) for the addition of a two story Music/Faculty Office building.

 

1989 (September 18)

Construction of two additional floors of the University Library(15) was completed and the building dedicated as part of the Fall Conference.

Return to Contents

1990's

1990 (February 25)

The James and Carol Collins Center for Hospitality Management(79) was dedicated.

 

1990 (September 10)

After 14 years as president of Cal Poly and 38 years in total service to the university, President Hugh O. LaBounty announced his retirement, effective in the summer of 1991. Later the same day the $4 million addition to the Music building(24) was dedicated.

 

1990 (September 25)

Ground was broken for University Village Phase II. This phase expanded student housing by 112 units, accommodating 448 students.

 

1991 (March 22)

Ground was broken for the Classroom/Laboratory/Administration Building(98).

 

1991 (April 25)

A dedication ceremony was held at the Collins Center to change the name of the Center for Hospitality Management to the School of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

 

1991 (May 15)

Dr. Bob H. Suzuki was named President by the Trustees of the California State University. He assumed office on July 15.

 

1992 (April 29)

Dr. Bob H. Suzuki was inaugurated as 4th president of Cal Poly Pomona. At the ceremony Bill Cosby was given the Doctor of Humane Letters degree.

 

1992 (May 1)

Because of riots in Los Angeles, classes after 5:00pm were cancelled on April 30 and the university was closed on May 1.

 

1993 (May and June)

Offices were moved from the Administration building(1) to the CLA Building(98).

 

1993 (summer)

Scenes for the television movie "The Return of I Spy" starring Bill Cosby and Robert Culp were shot on campus during the summer, with Cosby playing a retired secret agent working as a Cal Poly Pomona language arts professor.

 

1993 (September)

International Polytechnic High School opened on campus.

 

1993 (October)

The Animal Laboratory(92) was opened. The $2 million building, a high-tech structure has steel doors which are opened with plastic cards rather than keys.

 

1993 (November)

Cal Poly Pomona's solar race car "Intrepid" finished the World Solar Challenge as the fastest entry from North America in the 1900-mile race from Darwin to Adelaide through the Australian outback.

 

1994 (May)

The Alumni Brick Walk-of-Fame connecting the Kellogg Rose Garden and the CLA Building(98) was dedicated.

 

1994 (June)

The University adopted a new logo created by graphic design student Debora Lem.

 

1994 (November 9)

The University celebrated it's first Founder's Day and dedicated the Center for Regenerative Studies(209).

 

1994 (November)

The Home Page Team was established to guide the development of the campus presence on the World Wide Web.

 

1995 (February)

Faculty were invited to join FACNET, a campus electronic mail listserv.

 

1995 (September)

The University was awarded a $12.5 million contract for an Apparel Manufacturing Demonstration site by the Defense Logistics Agency.

 

1995 (September 25)

U.S. News and World Report rated Cal Poly Pomona as the nation's 3rd best-priced university in the western region of the United States.

 

1996 (January)

The Darlene May Gymnasium(41) was dedicated.

 

1996 (Winter quarter)

The Bronco Access card "one-card system" was introduced on campus.

 

1996 (June)

Columbia Pictures was on campus to film scenes around the CLA building(98) for the movie The Eighth Day starring Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawk.

 

1996 (July)

The Instructional and Information Technology division was created, bringing together the Computing Resource Center, Telecommunications, Instructional Technology and Academic Computing, and the University Library.

 

1996 (August)

The campus received a $2,059,000 grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation to restore and expand the University House(112) which was renamed Kellogg House Pomona.

 

1996 (October)

Grand opening of the renovated Campus Center(97), which was transformed into a marketplace-style eatery. It included Carl's Jr./Green Burrito, Wok-a-Round, a soup & salad bar, a bakery & coffee bar, and a convenience store.

 

1997 (January)

President Suzuki signed a $4.5 million computer equipment leasing plan for the university.

Return to Contents


 

University Archives Home Page

Library Home Page

Return to CMK Archives

eXTReMe Tracker